How to Plan Ahead to Protect Your Children If You Are Deported in Texas

DeportedAre you at risk of being deported in Texas? Being deported is scary, but if you have children, it can be even more frightening. You should plan ahead ensure that your children are protected if you are deported. Contact us before you are deported so we can help you.  Texas is just one of the many states looking to outlaw sanctuary cities.   This article talks more about this:  Texas Is About to Crack Down on Undocumented Immigrants.

First, you have to make some important decisions before you are deported.  You must decide if you want your children to come live with you in your home Country, or to remain in the U.S.  Neither of these scenarios is automatic if you do not take steps to plan for them in advance.  If you do not take precautions,  it is possible that the State could take custody of your children, terminate your parental rights, and decide what happens to your children.  This can all happen without you having any say so in the matter. When this happens children often end up in foster care.  Furthermore, they are sometimes even put up for adoption. Moreover, you can prevent this with advanced planning.

Who will take care of your children, selecting a conservator

Before You are deportedNext, pick someone you trust to take care of your children. It could be an older child or another family member who will take over conservatorship.  Also, it could be a trusted friend who is willing to step into custody for the children in your absence. Make sure you pick someone who is able to take care of your children for an extended time.  Also, perhaps even permanently. Also, mainly if you want the person to bring the children to visit you while you are in detention, make sure the person does not have any immigration issues of their own.

Once you have selected a caregiver for your children, you need to give them Power of Attorney to care for your children. This document should specifically state what decisions you are allowing the person to make regarding your children. Furthermore, it can help you give the caregiver access to your U.S. based assets, such as a bank account or house, to use to take care of the kids. You may also need to prepare a special Power of Attorney to allow the person to make healthcare decisions about your children.

Can my children travel outside the United States to see me

Protect Your Children in TexasIf you have decided to have your children join you in your home country, you will need to obtain U.S. Passports for the children. You will also need to give the caregiver a letter of permission for the children to travel. The letter must be signed by both parents and notarized. Airlines will require this letter for non-parents to travel internationally with the children.

In addition, if you want your children to stay in the United States after you are deported, you may be able to make arrangements in advance.  The purpose of doing this is to give the selected caregiver to right to legal custody of your children. This requires a separate court proceeding. Furthermore, if you are unable to arrange a change in legal custody in advance, the Power of Attorney along with a letter will help.   The letter needs to state who should have custody in the event you are deported.  This will go a long way helping the caregiver obtain custody once you have left the Country.

Take the First Step, Call Us Before You are Deported from Texas & Protect Your Children 

Texas lawyer referral logoAmerica Family Law Center Logo

Don't get deported without making plans for your children's safety and well-being.  Start planning today.  Call or text.

English | Español

Fathers Rights Initiative
can be contacted by
phone or text at 214-238-9200
Can you hug your child today? We can help!